Best Divorce Lawyers in Houston | What’s the Best Way to Choose One?
The truth is that there are a lot of good divorce lawyers in Houston. But since you’re here, let us tell you why we think we’re your best choice:
- Founding attorney Angela Stout is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Just 7% of Texas lawyers can say the same.
- We’ve been around since 2013. We are invested in the Houston community and we care about helping our neighbors who are going through a most difficult time in their lives.
- We have dozens of of 5 star reviews. We encourage you to check them out on Google, Facebook, and Avvo, or read a few client testimonials here.
- Our Firm was built on referral business. We consider it a great compliment that our clients recommend us to their friends and family.
This is a big decision. We understand if you’re not ready to talk to a divorce lawyer yet. But we encourage you to browse the information here to get a better understanding of what to look for in a Houston divorce attorney.
During a divorce, everything that matters most to you is at stake:
- Who will retain custody of your children?
- How will your children will receive financial support?
- How will marital assets such as property and retirement accounts will be distributed?
- How will a prenuptial agreement impact the outcome of your divorce?
That’s why it’s essential that you find the best possible divorce attorney to advocate for your interests.
If you’ve done a web search for the best divorce lawyers in Houston, you likely saw at lot divorce attorneys that give out free consultations. Needless to say, there are no shortage of divorce attorneys who want your business.
How can you tell who’s the best divorce lawyer for you?
Below, I have provided five tips that I have learned over my career as a divorce attorney in Houston. I encourage you to keep these in mind as you decide on hiring a divorce attorney.
1. Consider What Traits are Most Important to You
The first step to finding some of the top divorce lawyers in Houston is to define what qualities matter most to you in an attorney.
Some important considerations include:
- Relevant Experience. You want to choose an attorney who not only has years of experience in dealing with divorces but also has years of experience handling cases like yours. Each family’s circumstances are unique. One family may be working through a high asset divorce and another more focused on custody arrangements relating to their children. Either way, you want to hire an attorney who experiences handling cases that are similar to yours. I am a Board Certified in Family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and I have developed crucial skills, experience, and deep knowledge of family law over my years as a family law attorney.
- Success rate. The success rate is not always easy to gauge in the context of a divorce case. In a divorce action, there is rarely, if ever, a “winner” or “loser”. Instead, parties tend to focus on the ultimate resolution to their difficult situation. Therefore the most appropriate way we’ve found to gauge “success rate” is by looking at client satisfaction through testimonials and experiences. Please feel free to take a minute to review my past clients and hear what they have to say about their experience when working with me on their case. You can also look at my Avvo profile or Google reviews as well as my peer review ratings on Super Lawyers.
- Resources. While some divorce cases are very straightforward, others are harder to navigate, and may even require intervention and input from various experts. This means that you need to work with a lawyer who is not only well-connected but also has the resources necessary to hire experts and organize your claims.
- Compatible Personality. Don’t overlook the importance of hiring a top divorce attorney with a personality that meshes with your own. As a divorce attorney, you will be working with me very closely over an extended time. A good tip would be to make sure you like them and have faith in the fact that they are working for you and care about protecting your best interests.
2. Search for a Divorce Attorney on Trusted Online Sources
Once you’ve pinpointed the criteria you want in an attorney, a great way to find a lawyer is to search for one using a basic search engine, such as Google.
If your search returns more results than you can handle, narrow down some of the top results using the Texas Bar Association’s lawyer lookup service. This service also allows you to view a lawyer’s education, certifications, and even search for a lawyer based on language is spoken. You can always find my achievements on my attorney profile page.
3. Get a Reference from a Family Member or Friend
Divorce is incredibly common, and chances are you know someone close to you who has gotten a divorce and worked with a great divorce lawyer during the process. If you’re struggling to find the best family lawyer in Houston that you really like or believe is qualified to handle your divorce case, ask your friends or family members for a referral.
4. Start with a Consultation
If you are looking for a divorce attorney in Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, or The Woodlands, it is strongly recommended that you set up a consultation first, or at least talk to the lawyer on the phone about your case.
You should be honest about your situation and what services you need, your expectations for how your case should be handled, etc. I always provide the absolute most transparency and tell you whether or not I am able to serve you given my caseload and experience level.
If not, I may be able to recommend a lawyer near you that meets your criteria and is available to take on your case.
5. Don’t Forget What’s at Stake
You’ll be more motivated to find the best divorce attorney for you – rather than just settling for “the cheapest” option – if you fully understand what’s at stake.
If your divorce is contested, you have a lot to lose if things don’t go your way, which is very possible if you’re not represented by a professional with years of experience. If your divorce case is not settled in your favor, you may lose out on:
- Valuable property, including a home or car;
- Future earnings from various pieces of property such as interest and dividends;
- Spousal maintenance;
- A reasonable child support award; or
- Custody of your children.
What’s more, the longer that your divorce case is drawn out, the more taxing it can be on you emotionally and financially. Working with me I always understand this and I am committed to minimizing your costs and the divorce timeline while refusing to settle for less than you deserve is critical.
Other Common FAQ
A skilled divorce attorney can help you keep everything organized and be an advocate for you. A divorce attorney also will keep the complicated divorce process running smoothly.
Years of experience or number of divorce cases handled, looking at the success rate of those divorces, having a personality that you will be able get along with, and looking at the Google reviews for that law firm.
If you are looking to hire a divorce attorney, you should do some research on the individual and look around other profiles like Avvo, Justia, or Super Lawyers. You can also look at the attorney bio page and see what their background is in family law.
Hear What Our Clients Say
Reviewing: How proffessional the staff will be with your case
Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆ 5/5 Stars
Awesome group of people at The Stout Law Firm. Angela and her staff are super professional and make sure you are comfortable with the entire process nobody wants to go through. I highly recommend this firm for your Family law needs. Thanks y’all for being Awesome
Reviewing: Knowledgeable and Passionate Staff
Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆ 5/5 Stars
Ms Stout and her colleagues without question consistently gave sound advise and were very easy to work with. Thank You!
Reviewing: Detailed oriented staff that will find important factors that other family law attorneys have overlooked
Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆ 5/5 Stars
…Ms. Stout very quickly secured our confidence, identifying gaps that others we had consulted with hadn’t recognized. Throughout the process Ms. Stout and her colleagues worked very diligently and left no stone unturned. She has an admiral amount of knowledge in Family Law and the energy, drive and passion for ensuring the best outcome for her clients…
Find out what the rest of our clients have to say about their past experiences.
If you have hired The Stout Law Firm to handle a family law issue, we would love to hear from you and your experience with our staff! Please feel free to leave us a review.
Contact Me Today To Set-Up a Consultation
I understand what clients need in a divorce lawyer, and I have the reputation and success rate you would expect from a divorce law firm with more than a decade’s worth of experience.
Not only am I highly skilled, but I am also sympathetic to the emotional nature of divorce and sensitive to the fact that your life is about to change significantly.
I take a personalized approach to each case. I take the time to understand your goals and work aggressively to achieve them.