When seeking a divorce, there’s a lot to think about.
Indeed, you’re likely planning for your future, considering what will happen to your children, how you will support yourself, where you will live, what your social circle will be like, how you’ll spend your free time, and more.
The money will also be something you’re thinking a lot about, and if you’re a parent, the details of a potential parenting plan are something you’re surely be weighing, too.
When it comes to elements of your personal life that will be affected by your divorce, talking with friends, family, and even a support group or therapist is strongly recommended.
When it comes to issues that have legal or financial implications, like how the property will be divided or with whom children will live, you need to seek the advice of a skilled divorce lawyer.
But how do you find the best divorce lawyer for the job?
You want a divorce lawyer that is educated, experienced, and sympathetic to what you’re going through like our attorneys at The Stout Law Firm, PLLC.
Here are some tips for finding the top divorce lawyers in Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, The Woodlands and surrounding areas–
Know What You’re Looking for in Top Divorce Attorneys in Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, or The Woodlands –
The first step to finding the best divorce lawyer in Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, or The Woodlands, is to know what you’re looking for in a great divorce lawyer. Some important considerations include:
- You want to choose an attorney who not only has years of experience in dealing with divorces but also has years of experience handling cases like yours. Each family’s circumstances are unique. One family may be working through a high asset divorce and another more focused on custody arrangements relating to their children. Either way, you want to hire an attorney who has represented clients in a similar situation in the past. Angela A. Stout of The Stout Law Firm, is Board Certified in Family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a testimony to her skills, experience, and knowledge of the subject matter.
- Success rate: This is a hard measure to gauge in family law and in the divorce context in particular. In a divorce action, there is rarely, if ever, a “winner” or “loser”. Instead, parties tend to focus on the ultimate resolution to their difficult situation. Therefore the most appropriate way we’ve found to gauge “success rate” is looking for ultimate client satisfaction, through previous client testimonials and experiences. Please feel free to take a minute to review client testimonials relating to our practitioners on Avvo or Google as well as peer review ratings on Super Lawyers.
- While some divorce cases are very straightforward, others are harder to navigate, and may even require intervention and input from various experts. This means that you need to work with a lawyer who is not only well-connected, but also has the resources necessary to hire experts and organize your claims.
- Finally, don’t overlook the importance of an attorney with a great personality. Your attorney will be working intimately with you over the next few weeks and months; make sure you like them and have faith in the fact that they are working for you and care about ensuring your best interests are protected.
Search for Great Attorneys Online
Once you’ve pinpointed the criteria you want in an attorney, a great way to find a lawyer is to search for one using a basic search engine, such as Google.
If your search returns more results than you can handle, narrow down some of the top results using the Texas Bar Association’s lawyer lookup service. This service also allows you to view a lawyer’s education, certifications, and even search for a lawyer based on language spoken.
Get a Reference from a Family Member or Friend
Divorce is incredibly common, and chances are you know someone close to you who has gotten a divorce, and worked with a great divorce lawyer during the process. If you’re struggling to find a lawyer that you really like or believe is qualified to handle your divorce case, ask your friends or family members for a referral.
Start with a Consultation
If you are looking for a divorce attorney in Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, or The Woodlands, it is strongly recommended that you setup a consultation first, or at least talk to the lawyer on the phone about your case.
You should be honest about your situation and what services you need, your expectations for how your case should be handled, etc. The lawyer should honestly tell you whether or not they are able to serve you given their case load and experience level.
If not, they may be able to recommend a lawyer near you that meets your criteria and is available to take on your case.
Know What’s at Stake
You’ll be more motivated to find the best divorce attorney in Houston, Sugar Land, Katy, or The Woodlands, rather than just settling for any inexperienced, underqualified divorce lawyer, if you fully understand what’s at stake.
If your divorce is contested, you have a lot to lose if things don’t go your way, which is very possible if you’re not represented by a professional with years of experience or/and your spouse has hired a great lawyer to help them secure the divorce settlement they want. If your divorce case is not settled in your favor, you may lose out on:
- Valuable property, including a home or car;
- Future earnings from various pieces of property such as interest and dividends;
- Spousal maintenance;
- A reasonable child support award; or
- Custody of your children.
What’s more, the longer that your divorce case is drawn out, the more taxing it can be on you emotionally and financially. Working with a lawyer who understands this and is committed to minimizing your costs and the divorce timeline while refusing to settle for less than you deserve is critical.
Call The Stout Law Firm, PLLC for a Consultation Today
At The Stout Law Firm, PLLC, we understand what clients need in a divorce lawyer, and we have the reputation and success rate you would expect from a divorce law firm with more than a decade’s worth of experience.
Not only are our lawyers highly skilled and competent, but sympathetic to the emotional nature of divorce and sensitive to the fact that your life is about to change significantly. We take a personalized approach to each case, learning what you need and working aggressively to secure exactly that.
For your initial consultation with our Houston divorce lawyers, please call us today or send us a message. We’re ready to get started on your case immediately.