Family law is the most personal and emotionally charged area of the law. Preparing for a divorce, custody dispute or even the negotiation of a premarital agreement can be incredibly draining, both physically and mentally.
Jelena is client-focused and understands that each case, like each client, is different. Her approach is to provide every client with personalized attention throughout each step of their case.
Jelena’s practice is devoted to all areas of family law. She assists clients through complex divorce matters, high-asset property division, and contested custody litigation. Throughout her practice, Jelena has worked with professional athletes, high-net-worth individuals, professionals, and stay-at-home parents.
Despite her extensive trial experience, she understands the negative financial and emotional impact that litigation can have on a family. With her training in collaborative law, Jelena prefers to focus on creative solutions through the mediation process when possible.
Jelena is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (a designation earned by less than 7% of lawyers). She earned her bachelor’s degree in Finance from Southern Methodist University in 2006 and her Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Texas Tech University in 2009. She was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in November 2009.
Prior to joining The Stout Law Firm, Jelena worked with some of the most accomplished family lawyers in Texas. In addition to practicing at VernerBrumley while living in Dallas, Texas, she most recently was a Partner at the Houston office of Jenkins & Kamin, LLP.
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Premarital Agreements
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Post-Divorce Modifications
- Enforcement of Court Orders
- Property Division
- Collaborative Divorce and Mediation
Awards and Accolades
- 2021 “Texas Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters
- 2019 “Texas Rising Star” by Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters
Memberships and Affiliations
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2019
- Texas Bar, 2009
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S District Court Western District of Texas, 2009
- Burta Rhoads Raborn Family Law Inns of Court
- Houston Bar Association- Family Law Section
- Gulf Coast Family Law Specialists
Publications and Presentations
- Appeared on THINK, NPR March 18, 2014 “Divorce (Without the Court)” https://think.kera.org/2014/03/18/divorce-without-the-court/
- Author of “If You’re Heading for the Big D, and I Don’t Mean Dallas…” article in the October 2015 issue of the Dallas Bar Association’s Headnotes
- Co-Author of “Child Custody Evaluation Bill-Drafting of the Orders” presented at the Advanced Family Law Drafting Course in Dallas, Texas
- Presenter of “Child Custody Evaluation Bill-Drafting of the Orders” at the Advanced Family Law Drafting Course in Dallas, Texas on December 10-11, 2015
- Co-Author of “The New Custody Evaluations” presented at the Marriage Dissolution Institute in Galveston, Texas
- Presenter of “The New Custody Evaluations” at the Marriage Dissolution Institute in Galveston, Texas on April 7-8, 2016
- Presenter of “How to Succeed at Mediation” at the Family Law Essentials in Victoria, Texas on May 3, 2019
- Presenter of “Preparing for the Board Certification Exam” at the Advanced Family Law Conference in San Antonio, Texas on August 3, 2021
- Presenter of “Text Messages and Evidence” on the Legal Technology Webinar 2021
- Presenter of “Texas Rules of Civil Procedure Revised Rule 194 Disclosure” on the Texas Modern Mediation Webinar 2021